Saturday, January 29, 2011

You're on this date with me.

Day: One Hundred and Eighty One

Photo taken on Saturday, January 29, 2011 on the set at the Sid Jacobson Jewish Community Center in East Hills, NY at 1106pm.

When Heather told me back in October that her and Justin would perform in Guys and Dolls I am already there. It is definitely one of my favorite musicals mostly because I came to know it so well in my freshman year of high school. Ms. Fabs and Brother Phil always put on fabulous productions and the stage crew...well we built pretty intense sets. So when I tell Heather the set looks great she informs me she took a week off of work to build the whole thing herself! I am floored; I know how much blood, sweat, and tears go into putting on a play so I am impressed with Heather's carpentry.

She is able to erect an entire stage in a week and it took us a few months to do our set (though it is fun-filled and I admit, everyone engaged in their fair share of shenanigans). As we take the picture in front of The Mission I think of when I helped build our version. I remember being on the scaffolding, laying on my back, conversing with a friend as I wait for the screws to be passed up to me. I'm holding unto the sheetrock so it doesn't fall on our heads but she climbs down to let a more experienced stage crew member come up. Immediately my palms sweat as one of my crushes lays down next to me, my little 14 year old heart racing a mile a minute. He instructs me through the process of screwing in the boards and even though I drop a few screws in nervousness, he coaches me through and we complete the ceiling together. Ah, young love.

It is definitely a trip down memory lane to watch the play again and still remember all of the words. Heather does a wonderful job as Harry the Horse, sounding and looking the part perfectly. She knows how to rock a fedora! And Justin is a great Big Jule, in his yellow pimp jacket and coarse voice which I am sure must have shredded his vocal chords. The whole cast is amazing and Michelle and I find ourselves completely entertained and having a blast.

I can't wait for the next JCC play!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Not only did your picture come out better than mine, but your post was more entertaining. Good job, my friend. And I really hope you liked the burger you had for dinner... I know I'm reaching beating a dead horse status... but it was funny. I'll stop eventually.

babs said...

oh to relive our faded memories of our high school crushes--glad you enjoyed your night out with the girls

Greene Family said...

Wow - I'm so impressed that she built the whole set herself in a week! Sounds like a fun night with your friends and a trip down memory lane!