Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New York State of Mind

Day: One Hundred and Fifty Six

Photo taken on Tuesday, January 4, 2011 in Central Park at 1241pm.

I do not get the hype of the reservoir, especially in the winter when the trees are bare and none of the flowers are in bloom. To me it looks kind of depressing. Normally I do not walk up by New York City's Atlantic Ocean but the snow has made it impossible to walk on the outside track. So now I have to suffer through the tourists in order to get in my lunch walk.

It is almost as bad as Time's Square up here. Everyone is taking pictures of themselves by the desolate trees and skimpy riverbank. They "ooh" and "aah" over the ducks in their home language and then turn around and walk the wrong way around the track. This infuriates me because no matter what language you speak, we all speak the language of arrows. There are several signs posted along the path showing you to go counterclockwise. It's pretty simple. 9 times out of 10 the person walking towards you isn't from here. The other 1 out of 10 is just a bunch of rich high schoolers that are rebelling. Both groups do not bother getting out of your way either and instead I have to step off the path to let them by and then they think this means I'm volunteering to take their picture for them. If I had a nickel for every time this happens, I wouldn't be working at the Surge anymore.

2 comments:

Kim said...

So between doing that and collecting cans on Tuesday like the guy by the Surge you may have something going here.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully when you have to go off the path because of theose idiots i hope ypu never step in green duck poop!