Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Party in the USA

Day: Two Hundred and Ninety Six

Photo taken on Tuesday, May 24th, 2011 in our private karaoke room in Duet 48 in New York, NY at 850pm. (Coworkers pictured from left: Julia, Me, Valerie, Cassandra, Samantha, Dr. Zong, and Peggy. Dr. Mwando had stepped out of the room when we took the pic but he was a big part of the night so that's him below singing some Usher.)


I can't sing. Nor have I ever claimed that I could even though Kim and Pher swear that I thought I could be the next Barbara Streisand and was convinced I would be a singer. I don't remember this at all. I like to sing especially in the car and the shower, but I totally suck. And even though I know this, I will still sing to you any chance I get.
My coworkers have no idea what they are in for when they invite me along for one of their karaoke nights because I croak instead of hold a tune but hell, I don't know what I'm in for with these party animals! I am apprehensive at first, tentatively leaning over Valerie to sing into her microphone when Dr. Zong starts us off with a little BSB, I Want It That Way. Everyone is totally cool and relaxed and just punching in numbers to popular hits, singing their hearts out. I finally work up the courage (have a drink) to ask Cassandra to be the Rihanna to my Eminem.

Yeah, that's right. I rap for my coworkers and at first they sit in stunned silence and then as if on cue, they all burst out laughing. This is a side of me they have never seen before. Never would they think the geeky white girl in medical records with the anime action figures on her desk would rap or listen to anything besides Lite FM. When the song ends I feel like one of them, I'm included, and it's a great feeling to just be accepted into a fun group of people. Now I'm flying high, I'm singing anything they throw up on the screen and taking notes from our Mistress of Ceremonies, Cassandra. She tries to pass the title to me but after hearing her belt out Beyonce, there is no way I can fill those shoes.

By the time Bossdad arrives, we have already bonded over Brad Paisley's Alcohol and force him to sing it again with us and then he has to have his solo, Gnarls Barkley's Crazy as well (since that is the theme of the Surge). When it gets close to 11 they have to pry the mic from my hands and push me out the door to catch my train. Tonight has been an awesome, awesome night that I will forever remember and always want to replicate with anyone who is willing to partake in this kind of fun. There are so many songs we didn't even get a chance to perform! I am definitely up for this again! Who's in?


5 comments:

Maeve said...

Sounds like a blast!!!! Personally I'd bust out some Cher

Kim said...

First of all you did at one point believe you can sing. Now you know the truth and are trying to re-write history. Second, you must sing some Styx next time. I mean you promised you would do this at Chris and Anna's wedding so it's LONG overdue.

Katie Jaye said...

When I was in Sai the other day following Steve home, he threw up his hand and did a 1-0-2-3 so I quickly went to WBAB and sure enough, Styx. I totally belted it out. Wish you were there to hear it.

Michelle said...

I would totally be up for karaoke any time!

babs said...

I will say it again--nonone in the raab family can sing--you truly did think you can sing--why else would you sing on your voicemail my man stevie wonder??? admit it katie you do think you can sing--i still love you and you get extra points for singing my angry white boy eminem