Sunday, May 22, 2011

Cuttlefish?

Day: Two Hundred and Ninety Four

Photo taken on Sunday, May 22, 2011 outside of Rachel's Waterside Grill in Freeport, NY at 934pm. (Picture taken from the sidewalk garbage can: Me, Moma, Grandma Z., Charlie, Daddio, Father Bill, and Steve)

We are celebrating Charlie's 31st birthday tonight (a little early but who's counting?) and before he arrives (a little late but who's watching the clock?) I check out the menu and point out what he will most likely will order. It's the most expensive dish on the menu which he has a habit of ordering. It started back when he was a kid when he went out to dinner one night with Grandma Z. and Pop-Pop. He couldn't have been in middle school yet but there he was, menu propped up in front of him, looking at it with determination in his eyes. When the waitress came to take his order he told her he would like the lobster. Pop-Pop nearly choked. "You'll have a hamburger!"

Sure enough, once Charlie gets here and orders his usual coffee, he decides on the twin lobster tails stuffed with crabmeat. Steve hears him order it but I don't catch it since I am debating over which fish I want blackened-salmon or cod- so he nudges me and lets me know Charlie is going for the lobster. I smile. Of course he is; not only is it his birthday dinner so he gets whatever he wants but my older brother also has impeccable taste when it comes to food. Now movies on the other hand...  ;-P

4 comments:

babs said...

we always love sharing dinner with you guys--sitting across from you and enjoying your radiant smile makes me feel great--we are so used to Charlie ordering lobster--if he ordered a burger & fries i think i would fall out of my chair!

Charles said...

Actually I ordered shrimp scampi but no good writer should let the truth get in the way of a good story. I have never been the feature story of a blog. Flattering. NOW TAKE IT DOWN. Or I will sue you, and of course Dad as well.

Katie Jaye said...

You'll sue me and get my credit card debt. Also I heard the story as lobster so maybe through the years your pallette as a youngster has been embelished. And I'll have you know, sweet brother of mine, that you have been featured in a Christmas story back in December about the Nativity scene we used to have as children. A very touching story about a lamb.

Kim said...

Funny Charlie beat me bc I was there and it was indeed shrimp scampi and it was at the steak place by Grandma Raab's! LOLOL!