Friday, February 4, 2011

Tobi

Day: One Hundred and Eighty Seven

Photo taken on Friday, February 4, 2011 in Sai while driving east on Northern Blvd at 634pm.

I have Benign Positional Vertigo (BPV) which is pretty common but very annoying. It sucks because I grew up being the type of kid that followed along with whatever fearless tricks her brothers were up to: get air off that ten foot cliff on the mountain? Sure. Jump off the high part of the deck and into the 4 foot pool when mom goes back inside? Done. Do that bungee swing thing at Six Flags? Piece of cake.

But now? Now the slightest bit of motion can send me into a two week nausea-fest. Now I come with a set of rules, Dramamine, and Sea Bands. I no longer can ride the roller coasters that do corkscrews unless of course I'm in the front row and my eyes are shut; so where's the fun in that? I can't do somersaults off of diving boards anymore (but I can still do a mean Can Opener). I can't spin around more than once so I have to improvise in Zumba on occasion. And boats...well I might as well forget about that Alaskan dream cruise.

I have learned to adjust to my older body but sometimes it is hard to avoid everything that makes me sick. Tonight I just make the train to Great Neck by a few seconds but unfortunately I can't sit backwards anymore. Since there are no facing forward seats I opt to stand which usually doesn't affect me but BPV reared its ugly head by the time I hit Bayside. I feel bad I had to cancel on the twins again but I would have been no fun tonight. They would have beaten me in air hockey quicker than they normally do!

No comments: