Sunday, February 6, 2011

B.S. in Advertising

Day: One Hundred and Eighty Nine

Photo taken on Sunday, February 6, 2011 at Jenn & Mike's Super Bowl XLV party hosted at Aunt Linda's house in Wantagh, NY at 808pm. (Great party guys! The food was delicious and don't worry, there was plenty to eat, I think I'm still full. Thanks for having us over for the game!)

This may come as a shock to those of you who have come over from Life's Adventures but I am about to review the Super Bowl ads and NOT make bitter jokes about them like I did in 2007 and 2008. Here we goooooo!

At first I am thinking that the only brands that purchase airtime are Bud Light, Doritos, and Pepsi but then some other real good gems pop in there and make me smile like the one where the guy is like, "I wanna sleep with her, I wanna sleep with her, I wanna sleep with her, I want her Pepsi Max, I want her Pepsi Max-" oh... uh...well I like the one with the product placement in the medieval movie of all...Bud Light...oh...er...how about the one with the dying plants and fish but the Doritos bring them back to...

Okay, okay, I'll behave! All joking aside, here are my top three picks for the night:

Second Runner Up: NFL "Best Fans Ever"
This is a really cool idea and they did a fantastic job of substituting in all those jerseys and NFL gear into the shows. Not sure if you noticed how well it flows too but it may take two watchings to catch it since the first time you're probably absorbed into pointing out all the shows to your friends, like how you try and pick out the voices in We Are The World (wait you don't do that? Just Kim and I do?). Though I love the fact it ends on South Park!


First Runner Up: Doritos "Crash the Super Bowl"
I am totally picking this one because of the pug and the 2 seconds he takes to crash the door into the man who has annoyed me for the past 28 seconds.

This is also something I would train Sirius to do.



Top pick: Volkswagen "The Force"
I am not picking it solely for the fact I fully endorse cosplaying but because of the child actor and his ability to sell you without revealing his face. When the father presses the button from inside and the car comes to life, he reels around in shock, looking around as if to say, "did you see that?!" only to find no one there to witness his Jedi Mind Trick. I just fall in love with his body movements, his determination in his hands as he tries to sway his dog, the defeated sigh when the doll stares back at him limply, and how he brushes off his father when he tries to greet him. The kid just steals my heart. I'm thinking he reminds me of a certain animated nephew of mine...


Oh and hey advertisers? Enough with the 1984 references. We all "get" it.

(Sorry, couldn't resist another jab.)

3 comments:

babs said...

Katie--well written and I agree with your number 1 pick--he stole my heart and hopefully will sell some volkswagens--the doritos ad with the guy licking his coworkers fingers & smelling his oants--well i don't know if i could ever eat a cool ranch dorito again--definitely not a nacho cheese--that was pretty tacky & gross--and when you mentioned sirius i actually got nostalgic--can ypu imagine daddy wanted to throw him out of the car window! if i'm not mistaken someone went to jail for that in california! lol

Katie Jaye said...

Oh my God! I totally forgot to write about that gross ad! I was so disgusted by that (I'm actually frowning and choking back vomit thinking about that guy).

LOL Sirius! I got so upset when dad tried to wrestle him out of my arms in the car. We all had some really nice times with Sirius.

Kim said...

I am laughing right now. I totally thought of you with the pug and Preston thought that was the funniest ad of the night. I was also a fan of the Audi one with breaking the confines of old luxury and Kenny G did a cameo. LOVE the NFL fan one. Love it love it love it. And Darth totally reminded me of Pres Pres.