Sunday, February 13, 2011

Mighty Mouse

Day: One Hundred and Ninety Six

Photo taken on Sunday, February 13, 2011 at Justin's crib in Jericho, NY at 722pm. (Pictured from left to circle around right: Rachel, Adam, me, Jon, Steve, Heather, and Justin)

You might not believe this but right now would be the first time I am actually participating in an RPG (Role Playing Game). Sure, I have dabbled in some video games though I would not characterize myself as a gamer at all (though it would be cool to do so, I just suck at real gamer games). I have also redone musicals, plays, movies, and TV shows with friends growing up but never have I actually acted as a superhero (besides wearing my red underwear outside my blue jogging pants to play Superman to Annie's Louis Lane in our friend's version of Lois & Clark).

This time I get to create a Marvel superhero myself and in doing so, I ask a ton of questions to the leader, Justin, and practically make him hold my hand through the whole experience. The cards confuse the hell out of me with their colors and negative and positive numbers and their inscriptions. Heather assures me that it'll get easier the more I play and as we sit there for hours I keep leaning towards the boys, showing them my cards asking what's playable. Everyone is incredibly patient with me and I don't feel silly in the least as I make comments as if I'm my 15 year old character. I like how everyone interacts and becomes their character which leads to a lot of laughing and teasing.

On our way home eight hours later, Steve and I animatedly talk about the game and how we really want to develop ourselves as mutants. I tell him I would be happy to draw what we look like and then I'll make a stronger bio for myself (Steve's is ridiculously detailed and extremely inappropriate but funny). Steve is bursting with ideas about what could happen next and I encourage him to talk with the others about it. Being that the both of us are stuck in mind numbingly boring jobs, this game today shows us a new outlet that we can pour our stifled creativity into and hopefully that will release some of the tension I feel everyday going to work.

So Justin, whenever you have another free moment for pizza and game play, we're ready to help you save the world.

4 comments:

Liz said...

First time participating in role play? Ahem, I know for a FACT that that's not true. Do I need to remind you how we broke my bed the last time you slept over?

;)

Michelle said...

Awesome picture of everybody! And, just so you're aware, my character has rabies. Don't piss me off. ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that everyone is having fun. Justin is in all his glory with this and he is having a blast!!!

<3 Heather

Anonymous said...

That's so awesome, thank you Megatron!
~Justin