Monday, June 27, 2011

Rock Lee

Day: Three Hundred and Thirty

Photo taken on Monday, June 27, 2011 in the bedroom at 903pm.

You know those character quizzes that you take sometimes? The ones about your favorite TV show like, Which doctor are you on Srubs? (I got J.D. on that one though Heather thinks I'm more like Turk which is cool too, better than being Todd) Well, Steve and I like to play the geekier version of that when we're lying in bed and I am supposed to be sleeping. I'll turnover and ask him, "Who do you think I am in Fullmetal?" and I'll bug him until he answers me. The other night I choose Naruto-since there are a million and one characters in that manga-so I figure this will be fun...until Steve opens his mouth.

"You have Shikamaru qualities but you're not smart enough to be him. You have that aloofness of Kakashi at times but you are not as cool as him..." his voice trails off as I start to get a bit ticked off at his assessment and go to say something to stop him from calling me as useless as Sakura next but he continues anyway:

"You're Rock Lee."

"Rock Lee?" I ask, completely surprised by this. "But Rock Lee only knows Taijutsu! He's not as qualified as all the other ninjas!" Now I start to get ticked off again. Steve sits up in order to address this before it escalates out of control.

"Yeah, hear me out," he says, going into analytical mode. Steve launches into a speech-that sounds very well prepared-on why I am most like Rock Lee: He is different than everyone else in that he lacks the ability to perform "magical ninja powers" of illusions and special effects attacks so he can only use physical attacks. Because of this, Rock Lee trains harder, never gives up, and pushes himself to the extreme. He is genuine, holds fast to his beliefs, and shows fierce loyalty to those he loves. When Rock Lee gets knocked down, he gets up, and keeps going despite the odds being against him. He may be lacking in some areas but he makes up for it by having so much heart to be the best damn ninja he can be.

Plus he's a total lightweight when it comes to drinking.

When Steve finishes his speech I turn quiet, letting it all sink in. I think about all my qualities as a human being. I think about how hard I push myself even though success seems unreachable. I think about my determination, how I love others, my dedication to living life to the fullest. I think about those two IPAs that give me a real great buzz this weekend.

"Holy crap," I whisper. "I'm Rock Lee."

1 comment:

moma said...

at a total loss for words--this is like greek to me --sorry