Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Crack is Whack

Day: Three Hundred and Four

Photo taken on Wednesday, June 1, 2011 in the upstairs hallway after a Hawks doubleheader at 1137pm.

First off, I apologize for my butt. I toyed with the idea of censorship so you wouldn't vomit upon seeing my Grand Canyon by placing a large black strip in the valley but that just looks silly. I am brave enough to wear boobie shirts all the time and my cleavage resembles a butt crack anyway so why be embarrassed of the real thing?

Now let's move on...

17 has always been my number and I really don't know why. Maybe because it is the number of the house I grew up in or that it's Moma's birthday or Marty McFly's age in Back To The Future or that people mistake me for being that young. Whatever the reason, I always make sure to have it on the back of my jersey all those years playing softball for Tri Village. Then I make sure to get it when playing hockey for CU. Now I have it again playing softball as an adult.


I take three years to consider this tattoo. 17 is important to me because it encompasses more than just a number, it represents many moments in time so it makes sense to permanently brand it on my body. The image to accompany it is hard to choose until I make captain for CU my senior year. It is a great honor to be considered by my teammates because I am not the best hockey player but I am a great team player both on and off the ice and this is why they have chosen me. At the end of the year I tell Christine my wish to tattoo the number and something hockey related on my butt so she sets to work designing different options. Three other players join us at the tattoo parlor one day and forever link ourselves to each other:


Katie P. opted for Ralphie over the hockey sticks with her number (3) as well as an "A" because she joined me in the ranks of hockey leaders our senior year. A speedy defenseman that played hard in practice and even harder during the game. She also shared my love of Traveling Wilburys and skiing, beating me down the mountain through the woods in perfect form. Definitely one of my fave peeps I met at CU.

Mallory chose Ralphie and the hockey sticks and instead of an arm, gave her rear. A fierce goalie that was fast and flexible, keeping our team on top throughout the entire year. Mal has a great spirit and is just all around fun. She's one of my fellow runners that keep me abreast of her races via Facebook which helps me train harder when I hear of her success.

Naughty chose the same awesome hockey tattoo as yours truly and included her number as well. I was so worried about my parents finding out about our tattoo excursion so I begged her to wear a sweater to graduation which she did because she is wonderful like that. Looking back on it now, I don't know why I would think my parents would have seen her tattoo on her arm and automatically know I had a matching one on my ass? But Naughty is a trooper and a very good friend so she didn't mind my craziness. After all, she did live with me for a year so she understood how off the wall I could be.

Naughty was a big reason why I stayed in Colorado when I was flirting with the idea to come back and go to BU instead. Our friendship was chock full of singing Moulin Rouge loudly in the car, playing Harry Potter on PlayStation to all hours of the night, and when I needed help getting better in order to stay on the team, she was there to give advice.

After having so much fun designing our respective tattoos, Christine decided to get one too. For two years I played with her, enjoying having her at point and being so supportive of everyone on the bench. The last year I played she was assistant coach and team mom (Mama Pee Pee) instead and I have no idea how we would have survived without her. She kept the drama amongst us at bay, made numerous calls to straighten out travel issues, worked very well with Stef (our star player and other "A") to make everything smooth sailing for us fundraising wise, and was always there for anyone in need. Christine is a great person, easy to get along with, and always willing to bend over backwards for a friend. She is also a great companion to have on trips because she's fun as hell!

Despite me putting this picture last, I actually went first because I was afraid if I watched someone else in pain I would chicken out. Katie kept giving me updates on the progress and Mallory let me squeeze her hand. It lasted about 20 minutes or so and it felt like someone took a dull key and rubbed it back and forth on my skin, giving off that rug burn feeling. It wasn't too bad having my ass in the window of the shop and even having other team members drop by to check out our new editions to our bodies. It was an experience I will never forget and hope to repeat with someone special again.

3 comments:

Mallory said...

Love it! :)

Naughty04 said...

I totally forgot you had pictures of our "excursion"! Fantastic!

Babs said...

As long as you never get a neck tat or a whole sleeve or one on the face (because you're beautiful and all i see with a face tat is mike tyson UGH!)i guess i can deal--love you sharing such a special day with your cu friends