Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Send in the Clowns

Day: Twenty Three
Photo taken on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 at 740am in my office chair. That is my coworker, Valerie's desk behind me.



Make-up is definitely fun to wear and play around with when you're going somewhere special like a birthday party in NYC or to a wedding or to a night club. Make-up is not fun to put on at 430 in the morning just so you can look decent at work in your dusty office with no window. I like to go for the natural look and abstain from wearing make-up, not because I think I'm naturally beautiful but because I'm just really lazy and the ten minutes it takes to put on is ten minutes I allot somewhere else.

The days when I use those “ten minutes allotted for something else” to put on make-up are usually days I hate the most. Everyone and their mother notices I have make-up on and feels the need to point it out to me or ask what the special occasion is. The special occasion, ladies and gentlemen, is that Katie is a little less lazy today. That's the special occasion.


And it's the way they point it out to me that almost makes me want to punch them in their face. Everyone gets all up in my personal space to look at this make-up and their voice goes up an octave as if they are speaking to a newborn baby or a puppy. "Oh you look so pretty!" they squeal as I shudder. They exclaim about my make-up as if this is the first time I have ever discovered it exists and why they feel the need to make doe eyes at me is nauseating and almost a little bit offensive.

So pretty much when someone compliments me on wearing make-up to the office, all they are really doing is pointing out the fact I look terribly ugly without it. To be honest with you, I find make-up to be kind of ridiculous. Think about it. Dudes don't have to wear make-up but we're required to "enhance" and when we do we put colors on our face. It just seems so silly to me and very unnatural.

Funny thing is, the first time I receive make-up it's at my neighbor, Krysten's Hair and Make-up birthday party. My goody bag consists of purple and blue eye shadows that I immediately take upstairs to my room to try in private. You would think I was testing out "looking grown-up" when in fact I use the eye shadows to create the meanest most awesome looking black eye one could ever get. I remember pulling away from the mirror and squinting like a badass back at myself muttering, "You should see the other guy."

And to me, using make-up in that sense is the most natural thing in the world.

1 comment:

maeve said...

OMG!!!! I SOOOOOOO remember that party!!! hahahaha ohhh krysten... good times