Friday, August 20, 2010

Ana Juana Learn

Day: Nineteen
Photo taken Friday, August 20, 2010 up in the Manga Loft around 1030pm.

I am so ecstatic when Annie drops by to see the apartment (and brings us delicious brownies!) that we head upstairs with some good beers to lounge on the rainbow beanbag chairs and talk into the night. I've known Annie since elementary school and the memories we created are some of the best to recall.

One of my favorites is when Annie comes with the Raabs up to Mount Snow for some skiing fun in our sophomore year of high school. On one of the last runs of the day we all head to Carinthia to race each other down a run complete with perfect rollers for maximum air. We all start at the summit at the same time and Charlie quickly takes the lead. I'm not much of a cruiser so it takes me awhile to catch up yet two people in our party have already wiped out so my chances of winning are increasing. Annie is on Charlie's heels and looks like she'll be keeping that position all the way to the end.

At the bottom of the slope past the ski lift is a huge mound of snow that has been plowed very high from the parking lot. Charlie, declaring himself the winner, skis to the top of it and stops, standing supreme over the rest of us waving his poles in victory. Annie, speeding down after him, goes to take the spot on his left as we all shout for her not to. Annie makes it to the top and stops and we all breathe a sigh of relief until she teeters and goes over the other side. Charlie tries to catch her but she's speeding down the other side into the parking lot out of his reach. I quickly pop myself out of my skis and scramble up the manmade mountain and peer over the edge, afraid of what I'll find.

I smile.

Annie is laughing her infamous "hee hee hee" with a huge grin. I'm so relieved she's okay but we all have to climb down after her and pull her out from under a vehicle anyway.

No comments: