Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Midnight Society

Day: Two Hundred and Sixty One

Photo taken on Tuesday, April 19, 2011 in my hotel room of Homewood Suites in Wallingford, CT at 11pm.

Not a fan of "the dark". Most of my childhood, night is pierced by a little light shining from the wall socket at the foot of my bed. My defense for undead intruders in the witching hour is pulling up my bed sheet so it covers my ear (also effective for keeping creepy crawlers from going in there). Closets are left open therefore nothing can materialize in there if it is empty before lights out. Squeezing my eyes shut is a great method for hiding from the night as well; if you can't see it then it's not really happening is it?

But I don't have to worry about these things anymore. I have Steve. He keeps the ghosts from haunting me, the spiders away from my ear, and the bloody man inside the closet inside the closet. Even though he's sleeping next to me like a rock, he's protecting me from my fears.

But tonight Steve is a state away and I have to face the darkness on my own. I have gotten used to sleeping next to him, feeling so unbelievably safe and comfortable, being able to reach out at any moment and feel him lying next to me that nights like this leave me edgy and restless. So to create the facade of Steve, I stack extra pillows to my right and cuddle up to them the minute I hit the lights. They're not grumpy in the morning and they definitely don't roll on top of me in the middle of the night but they do for now. And I'm sure back in our home, Steve has a barricade of extra pillows by him too. Whether he admits it or not, I bet he misses my nighttime verbal diarrhea and my Charley Horses that scare him out of a sound sleep and my pee breaks at 2 in the morning and one of my appendages touching him at all times and the dreams that make me jolt awake and my alarm that I forget to turn off when I get up at 5.

Yeah, there is no way Steve is getting a good night's sleep right now.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Awww. So sweet. I'm sure Steve misses you too. Maybe just not at the same times you miss him.