Monday, April 18, 2011

Born To Run

Day: Two Hundred and Sixty

Photo taken on Monday, April 18, 2011 on Clarendon Street in Boston, MA at 332pm. (Pictured: Me, Jamie, and Allan)

I HAVE COMPLETED MY FIRST MARATHON!

And I could not have done it without out the help and drive of the two I am pictured with.

When Allan and Robyn first toss out the idea of me running as Jamie's second coach, I figure, well why not? I don't have a race planned for that day. Besides, when could I ever qualify for the Boston Marathon? I think my age group has to run it in under lightening speed or something equal to that and everyone knows I'm a turtle compared to other women in my category. They ask if I am interested in doing half of it and I quickly agree but once I start training and make it through that first long run of 17 miles, I am hooked. I am in it for the long haul (that and Allan has taken advantage of the mileage to talk me into it, which honestly he had me at, "what's another 10k after these 19 miles, right?").

So once it is established, I make sure Maeve is going to be around for her birthday weekend and what psyches me up for the event even more is that she wants to take Patriot's Day off and be my cheering section! I am floored! I am so looking forward to having a mini fan club at the biggest race I will probably ever run. Steve even takes a day off without pay because he doesn't want to miss me crossing the line for my first 26.2 miler.

Though I almost don't cross...

Everything starts out wonderful but also very cold. I am glad I make the decision to wear my snowman pj bottoms as throw-away clothes (clothes that you discard before a big race that are then scooped up and donated) because it is windy when waiting for the busses to get us at 5 in the morning. The three of us, plus Alie and his three coaches (Randy, James, and Stephen) get on the slightly warmer bus for a ride that feels way more than 26.2 miles.

I am so stoked when we reach Athletes Village and as I clamber off the bus and see all these runners the nerves start to set in. I start wondering if I have enough body glide on and if I'll be able to hit the bathroom before we start in two hours and if I made a big mistake taking on this challenge.

On the trek to the starting line and the other smaller version of the Athlete's Village, I come across a family that has a whole station of first aid stuff set up for free. I am astounded at the generosity of giving out Band-Aids and what not to strangers you don't even know. They even let me crack open a jar of Vaseline and I thank them profusely as I run to catch up with my party. It is the one of the many many MANY fans that have tables like this set up for the runners and the amount of food and beverages that are passed out along the way is great. (But I don't know this yet when we line up with several other runners that get to start an hour before the first heat.)

We witness the great spirit of the Boston by ourselves for the first 8 miles. The only people to pass us so far are the wheelchair runners who are absolutely amazing so all the cheers have pretty much been directed at us as we pass. One particular bar is already half in the bag but call out to the three of us as we pass and Jamie is loving the attention. He's smiling and laughing and we're just cruising and enjoying the gorgeous day.

Then the elite women pass us and they are a sight of beauty. The lead runner has a stride three times the size of mine and the pack that passes right after her have seriously no fat on their bodies so I can see the muscles working and it's fascinating. Two miles later it's the elite men with Ryan Hall in the lead and then it hits us a little bit later...the massive wall of EVERYONE ELSE. It's definitely nerve wracking and I worry I'll lose sight of Jamie so I stick to him like glue. I'm thinking if I run another marathon as his guide I should definitely put a "guide" sign on my back as well to maybe ward of the people who have squeezed in between us already.

By Mile 15 I'm aching a bit. As Allan and Jamie take a bathroom break I shoot off a text to Steve and my dad that I'm in pain. They cheer me on and Maeve sends me a text telling me where they'll be at the end. By Mile 18 I start to cry. The excruciating pain radiating from my right hip is just wearing me down. I've tried to compensate by favoring my left leg but it's not working. My body is giving out but Allan is hearing none of that. He's pulling out all the stops to convince me to keep going and I feel so incredibly guilty that I'm slowing them down because Jamie has hit a good rhythm and I don't want to mess that up for him. Allan gives me an Advil and tells me to run another mile and then we'll discuss me quitting.

Keep in mind we're in Newton right now, the four mile stretch of straight hills, the hardest four miles I will ever run in my career. On my way to Mile 19 a girl hands me a homemade brownie and it's delicious and I am thankful for it since I haven't eaten a thing since 730. But when it comes to discuss my quitting at mile 19, I am nausceous on top of being in pain. Allan goes into his Spibelt which is doubling as a pharmacy at the moment because he pulls out two ginger candies to help. "Let's get through Heartbreak Hill then we'll figure out what to do."

But as I reach the top of Heartbreak Hill, there's nothing to figure out. I am feeling fantastic! Better than I have felt all day! My second wind carries me through the last 10k with ease and I am pain-free when I round the final corner and see the finish up ahead. I am overcome with emotion and think that when I spot my fan club that I will dissolve into a teary mess though when I reach Lord and Taylor I hear her and instead of tears I smile.

There's Maeve, blonde hair and big sunglasses waving enthusiastically at me, holding up her pink phone to snap my picture. I am so happy I end up going faster and I don't catch Steve but I see Robyn, Randy, and Alie in the stands, cheering for us as we cross at 6:01:45.

This is such a fantastic experience and I consider myself so lucky that I am asked to partake in Jamie's first Boston Marathon (I am sure the twins will do it again in the near future!).


Thank you to Robyn and Allan for including me in their training and for letting me be a part of something really awesome! Thank you everyone for all the well wishes and good lucks throughout my month of training and on the big day. And giant hugs to Maeve and Steve-O who help me celebrate with fatty food and good beer directly after being healthy for 6 hours. Much love to all!

^_\

3 comments:

Maeve said...

YAY!!! I am so proud of you BFF!!! It's an amazing accomplishment and I'm glad to have been there to cheer you on!!! xo

Kim said...

I am so proud of you. Teary reading this. Go you.

Michelle said...

Congratulations Kate!