Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Icing

Day: Thirty Eight

Photo taken on Wednesday, September 8, 2010 in the dining room area of our apartment after my training run for The Great Cow Harbor 10k (which I'm not racing in this year but want to train for it for fun anyway).

Steve is my own personal sports medic; he's truly the best. After every time I run whether it's a track workout, speed run, short easy run, or a long haul, he's there ready for me when I return to wrap and ice any part of my body that hurts. The pain that used to radiate in my left calf has now moved down to my foot instead since getting new kicks (solve one problem create another). The right foot automatically gets wrapped due to me fearing a repeat stress fracture. There is no way I want to be out of commission for three months again and especially not now since I've come so far in my training for the Diva half marathon.

The best memory I have of my stress fracture is the night before my wedding when my family plus Christine and Steve are congregating in my parents' hotel room, sharing a drink and some laughs when Kim suddenly turns to me and says, "You're not actually going to wear that cast tomorrow are you?"

I look down at the monstrosity on my right leg that I have been donning for two weeks now and shrug. It looks like a moon shoe and reaches up to almost my knee but I've already grown quite attached to it. "I'm going to wrap it in an ace bandage to start but if it hurts I'm going to have to put the cast back on at the reception."

Kim looks horrified at my answer. "You are NOT wearing that under your dress. Don't be an asshole, Kate."

At this point, Christine laughs because she finds the whole thing comical. I try to assure Kim that it won't be in any of the wedding pictures but she still shakes her head at me for being so stupid for breaking my foot two weeks before my big day. I have to agree with her, I was careless with my running mileage and upped it too fast. So after we finish up our drinks and Steve heads back to our place in Farmingdale, Christine and I make our way back to our respective rooms. The whole way there Christine keeps giggling about Kim calling me the A word. The next day whenever a good moment arises she makes sure to repeat that phrase to me and it makes me laugh. Even to this day, Christine will find the most opportune moment to say the phrase:

"Kate, don't be an asshole."

1 comment:

Kim said...

I mean, if you wore the boot, you'd have totally been an asshole. Just saying.