Sunday, July 17, 2011

The End of an Era

Day: Three Hundred and Fifty

Photo taken on Sunday, July 17, 2011 after watching the final installment of Harry Potter in the Farmingdale Multiplex at 1030pm. (Pictured from left: The bad guys: Steve throwing a curse, Jenn pointing, and Heather channeling her inner Bellatrix. Neutral wizard: Mike. The good guys: Jon as Neville, Justin deflecting Steve's curse, and a hyperactive Hufflepuff.)

Ten years.

Pottermania has been in my life for an entire decade. And I have loved every single second of it.

I am aware of the Harry Potter books but thinking they are for children, never pick one up until I learn that it is story that anyone can enjoy. One day after hockey practice, my coach offers a movie excursion to Flatirons for Friday, the day Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is scheduled to come out. The majority of the team wants to go as well as my roommate, Sam, who upon hearing I am going, begs to come along. She even runs into her room and retrieves the three books out so far, telling me she's a huge fan. So on Friday, she joins me and the rest of the CU Women's Ice Hockey Team to see this flick. I have no idea what to expect but I am open-minded since I know most of the Hogwarts staff from other movies and enjoy these actors. My reaction? I think I forget to breathe through the entire thing, completely enchanted with the magical world J.K. Rowling has created. I love the story, the characters, the school, the food, the EVERYTHING! I want to stand in front of the Mirror of Erised. I want to sit under the sorting hat. I want to join in the fight against Voldermort.

And so begins the ten years of obsessing over one of the greatest stories of all time. As the years go on, I learn of more friends that share my deep love for Potter: Maeve is a fellow student but not in my house (she's a Gryffindor) though we hit Hogsmeade all the time together; Naughty, EJ, Dormmate Chris, and I play drunken Harry Potter on the original Playstation ("Potter NO! Potter MOVE!"); Naughty breaks out her books on tape while we live in the hockey house; Cameron even comes down from MA to see Goblet of Fire with me; Annie and I get together after the sixth book comes out to discuss what we thought (I bring two pages of notes), Christine brings me to the Wizarding World, and the list goes on. It's the second time this year I am writing about a trip to Potterland but I am afraid this time it will be my last.

I struggle with the ending of Book 7, maybe because it is time to say goodbye to the favorite characters that stole my heart (and then DIED, leaving me all alone to wallow in my sadness over them, and what the hell? Out of my top five-technically six because the twins are a package deal-four die?! So not fair.) Book 7 means it is finally complete, that there is no more yet I still have the movie to look forward to. And when I hear they are dividing it into two I think, that's not necessary but I'll take it! Why not extend this for a few more years?

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II is bittersweet. My heart gets ripped out during the Snape montage because he is such a complex character and tortured soul. How much he endures for the sake of saving Harry, the dark front he has to keep up in order to appear faithful to Voldermort, the way he stands there and accepts his fate he knew was coming all along, and how he buries his love for a woman he could never have. He keeps hatred in his heart for Harry because he wants to make him his father but when he demands Harry look at him, he sees the green eyes of Lily as he passes on. So moving, so heart wrenching. How could one not love Severus?

I had been looking forward to the scene in the room of requirement-the fire dragon-I had a feeling it would be freaking cool! Though I am very saddened by the fact that two of my favorites, Fred and Lupin, are not paid the noble death sequence they so rightfully deserve. I have trouble swallowing the fact that out of all the Weasleys, Rowling chooses to split the twins. If I have learned anything from this troublesome duo is that one would never leave the other, even in death. In my world, Fred returns and can rival Peeves anyday!

I admit, I cry when Dobby leaves us. The red hot anger I feel when Sirius dies at the hand of his cousin keeps me awake at night. The tears that are almost endless when everyone lights their wands and raises them in the air for Dumbledore breaks me. But I am not prepared for the emotion I feel bubbling to the surface when the snitch "opens at the close". This is why I love the series so much. This is why Harry is redeemed from Book 5's constant whining (thank you film adaptation for changing that in the fifth movie) and holds a very special place in my heart. He is brave and honorable and chooses to sacrifice himself for the greater good. It's a poignant scene that makes me want to be a better person, makes me want to be more like Harry: a defender, determined and fearless.

I have taken much from this series and I can spend hours of your time talking about it. There are many religious and spiritual themes laced within this story as well has humanity guidelines. I am happy to say I agree with what Rowling is trying to teach us: that love really does conquer all, that loyalty and standing up for what you believe in is important, and that friendship is a treasured gift that can last a lifetime.

These past ten years have been a glorious and wonderful adventure for me. I hope that my love for Harry Potter continues and I thank you all for putting up with my incessant chatter about the series.




"I want you to listen to me very carefully, Harry. You're not a bad person. You're a very good person, who bad things have happened to. Besides, the world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters. We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are."-Sirius Black

4 comments:

Maeve said...

Great post!!! I feel the same way about the whole series!! xo

h said...

very insightful coming from a hufflepuff. I only say that becauce there was a survey of 100 hufflepuff women and 95% of them thought that he who shall not be named was a reference to their period. So very good entree hufflepuff.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written, even though I have never read the books just listening to you and Justin speak about them with such passion brought everything to life for me, and even though I may have "channeling my inner Belatrix" in your photo, I am Tonks through and through. :-)

~Heather

Anonymous said...

Jon even has the wand to match...i suppose i would wind up being Lupin,though i do like Sirius. It's that whole good side thing i guess.
what ever happened to the original post idea?
~Justin