Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Prisoner In My Own Home

Day: Three Hundred and Thirty Nine

Photo taken on Wednesday, July 6, 2011 on our stairs at 631pm.

I envy Steve. He is one of those people who can fall asleep the second their head hits the pillow. Last night is one of those nights; he is in such a deep sleep that he doesn't even notice when I unwrap my limbs from his and sneak off downstairs. I turn the Manga Dining Room lights very low-a little mood lighting-and set to work on the writing drawer of my desk. As I am flipping through my Creative Writing journal from sophomore year of college I see a slowly moving shadow from my periph.

I squint down at my foot to watch this two inch shadow creep along the rug as my stomach bottoms out. This thing just came from Sergei's bag, a bag that I had taken with me to the Surge today. One of my fears is that I accidently bring home a water bug from the city and now I am witnessing my fear come true at 1230 in the morning. I spring out of the Commander's Chair and put on the lights full blast but it scampers behind the filing cabinet.

No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no! This can't be happening! Not when I am so careful! I'm going to have to move!

I call out to Steve but he doesn't answer. There's no way he's going to hear me over the pounding of my own heart as well as the fan upstairs. I gulp and move closer to the black cabinet. I crane my neck to see the back corner and as I do, the bug in question comes crawling out of its hiding spot.

I blink.

Okay, not a water bug. Good, but what the hell is that thing?!

Upon closer inspection...it's a giant mutated centipede! Like I'm talking as big as one of those crazy insects in the Temple of Doom BIG. I watch this thing make its way into the kitchen and I try to trap it with a plastic cup but it knocks it over and escapes quickly, making me squeal like a little girl and run away. I finally have no choice but to smash it when it heads for underneath the stove. I close my eyes and whack it with Steve's flip flop causing twitching legs to scatter all over the floor. It's a total mess but I clean it up somehow and slide back into bed at 1 am.

I spend the next hour thinking its friends are wriggling around my pj bottoms, jumping up to rummage through the sheets, and unsuccessfully waking up Steve to save me from this creepy crawler madness!

2 comments:

Maeve said...

HA... I remember you telling me about this! I would react the exact same way!

Babs said...

Katie--you crack me up--i am the same way as you--i would have been ordering boxes from u-haul and the move would have begun--i have gottem about 25 lizards this summer on my traps that would have loved to take up residence in my garage---oh i don't think so lizard baby--