Saturday, November 20, 2010

Popping up a Sidewalk

Day: One Hundred and Eleven

Photo taken on Saturday, November 20, 2010 by the butterfly table at 904pm.

I'm very hard to define: outwardly I'm not the most feminine creature but I do love earrings, bracelets, and things that are pink. I'm certainly not traditional yet I hold my drumsticks that way. I'm Republican but I agree with the liberals on issues like gay marriage and abortion. I get very sensitive and emotional at times though I understand men better than I do women. I'm very logical with my thinking but irrational with my compulsions.

So when it came time to pick a last name on my marriage license, I struggled immensely. I wanted to honor thy husband and take his and I rationalized it by saying I would only have to change two letters, that it would still be the same initials and length. But then I felt my individuality start to slip and I panicked, asking Steve if I could keep my own last name. His initial reaction was one of hurt and I resigned myself to getting used to my new last name.

A year passed and I still never got used to it. In fact, I hated it. I didn't like to be referred to as Mrs. Reed and continued to make reservations under the name Raab. I then started to compromise using a hyphen and decided to eventually go to the courts to make it official. But then I started to get mail in the new hyphenated name only it had no hyphen. Not only did the hyphenated name sound ridiculous in the first place, it looked ridiculous without a hyphen.

Today after receiving one too many mailings with Raabreed on it, I screamed and Steve conceded.

I'm going back to my roots.

3 comments:

Maeve said...

You'll always be Katie Raab to me (sorry steve)

Kim said...

Um, you totally forgot to show me the papers. Please bring to Richmond Friday.

Kim said...

And imagine that sometimes I still get mail as Lombardo and want to vomit.