Monday, November 29, 2010

Mulan

Day: One Hundred and Twenty
Photo taken on Monday, November 29, 2010 on my balcony at 812pm.

Right now I'm reflecting on an interesting encounter I had today at the Surge. I admit, sometimes I get annoyed when I receive medical record requests because it requires me to find a chart and it is such a long process to do so but this time feels different. This time the patient is absolutely lovely on the phone and I find her chart without much effort.

When she comes in to retrieve it a few hours later she welcomes me with a sweet smile. She is an elderly lady with a very bright disposition and starts a conversation with me about how she did medical records for thirty years. We end up talking for a good 15 minutes because she is the kind of person that is so nice that she makes you want to be a better person. Before she leaves she insists upon giving me candy that she has in her pockets and I can't help getting choked up. Here is a stranger who just met me and already she has opened her heart up, and even her arms, as she asks if she can give me a hug.

This is a moment I want to keep inside me forever, to remember that there are good people out there that are just as caring and loving as myself. I take pride in my honesty, fairness, and open heart and today I meet another person who believes in the same things I do. It doesn't take much to give a little and then pay it forward. Her presence reminds me today that as down as I get, I have to have faith that a little bit of sunshine can still get through no matter what.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Ok so now I'm choked up. But I feel as if your reflection picture is a bit too posed. :-p

Katie Jaye said...

Ha! You caught me. It totally is. I didn't know how else to show me reflecting. This probably looks better than me staring blankly at a wall though.

Maeve said...

awww katie!!! I love this... what a sweet story... and I love you.