Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I Feel the Earth Move Under My Feet

Day: 387

Photo taken on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 in our Manga Dining room at 1059pm.

Steve really knows how to shake things up on his birthday.

We're out shopping for Steve's birthday presents in Sunrise Mall, in Suncoast to be exact, when the strange event happens. I'm looking at the anime section as Steve moves onto the next section when the wall starts violently shaking. It's one of those fake walls stores put up to separate the back from the front so I figure the construction from the next store down is making it do that. I point to it as the videos clatter around, "Steve this wall is shaking." He barely spares it a glance as he turns his focus back to what he was looking at before I interrupted him. I shrug and move on to a non-shaking wall.

Five minutes later we leave the store and my phone starts blowing up with a few texts. They're from Heather and Jenn and they're concerned about me and my family. Puzzled I read the texts over.

Virginia just had an earthquake.

...

Virginia just had an earthquake?!

I immediately get on the horn but cannot reach Moma or Kim and would have tried Preston if he had a cell phone to try. Eventually I get my dad at the Surge and I ask him what's on the news, was it major, has Richmond been swallowed by shifting tectonic plates? He has no answers for me but he believes everything is fine. For hours I worry about Moma in that big house by herself. I worry that furniture might have pinned her to the floor. I worry that The Eagle has fallen off its perch and smashed into a thousand little unsalvageable pieces.

Finally I get in touch with Moma who happened to be in the car when it happened and returned to a house with nothing out of place. Kim seemed to experience the worst of it and besides being shaken up, I am happy to report she is fine. And Preston? It was nap time. Slept right through it. That's the way to be, Little Man!


Oh and I know what you're thinking...why aren't you at work, young lady? Well according to my mom's Birthday Philosophy, everyone gets to have off on their birthday. And being that I get way jealous when Steve is home from work and I am not, I take the day too.

No comments: