Saturday, August 27, 2011

Humidity is Rising

Day: 391

Photo taken on Saturday, August 27, 2011 in the living room at 1135pm.

Most people actually prepare for a hurricane: hit the grocery store for supplies, tape up windows, tie things in the yard down, leave flood zones. But not Steve and I, no. We do things a bit differently like play Mike across town in Borderlands and drink the beer in our fridge so it doesn't skunk when we lose power later. We have our priorities straight and right now it's drink this special beer Julia brought back for me when she returned from her trip to Canada last week. I'm already three beers in at this point, having cracked open two of our more expensive bottles while I watched iParty with Victorious upstairs.

Okay, I take it back, we did prepare--sorta. Today after we get two calls from the town advising us to leave the premises, I call Robyn to cancel my long run with the boys. I'm nervous about all these warnings and have already received several offers to stay with friends and family but I can't accept. I can't leave behind all my possessions and spend the whole night worrying if it's being carried away on the water in my backyard. Instead we decide to prepare the fort for battle with Irene. While Steve is at Stony Brook Orientation, I set to work cleaning the upstairs, putting everything away in its proper place to make room for everything from downstairs if need be. Our brilliant plan is to constantly check the water level outside and if it comes over the dock and hits the grass, then and only then, will we start moving everything from downstairs up. Then we'll leave the premises.

Smart right?

I wonder how it'll go with me half in the bag now and Steve preoccupied with online gaming.

No comments: